Sunday, September 8, 2013

Curve appeal

Albatros hasn't developed too much the last couple of weeks. This is partly due to ongoing research about some upcoming hull-laying decisions, and also to other real-world distractions. But, last weekend and today, I did some more work.

Compare with the previous post after initial sanding
Last weekend, I sanded down the blocks at the bow. It took awhile to confirm the extent to which they needed to be reduced: the written directions are vague, the photos too small, and online information nonexistent or slow. But, going back to the papers in the box, I found what I needed: a full-size cross-section schematic. There's still some finer detailing to do, plus some more sanding at the rear, but the heavy work is coming to a close.

Today, I started work on one of the bulwarks, i.e. the sides of the boat that extends above the deck. The bulwarks will be the first pieces I bend (I've decided, this time, to start with an overnight soak to make them malleable, at least the first one). Before that happens, though, the inside of both bulwarks need to be lined with renin.

The bulwarks are, for now, flat, but their tops and bottoms are rounded in anticipation of their hull-hugging final curve. The renin, though, is straight; just laying it flat, as I had the deck, would in the end lead to the planks running not-parallel to the ship's long axis. Fortunately, as I mentioned before, the renin is flexible; starting a dollop of glue at the top-left side, I laid a line of renin, gluing and gently bending along the way. It all went pretty well. The very top of the bulwark at the back near the poop deck was the most curved and the renin almost balked -- but, it didn't, and now I have a sense of the material's limits. The pictures below may better illustrate all this.


The straight piece of renin and gridded cutting mat contrast the bulwark's
curves, illustrating the issue at hand. (Yes, the bulwark itself slightly lifts off
the mat -- an artifact, I think, from some test-bending against the hull.)
Lined, but not yet trimmed
Lined, cut, and trimmed

Looks nice, having such parallel lines and proportions, even at such scale
After this, it's time to bend the bulwarks to follow the hull. My plan is to soak them overnight (or throughout the workday -- I'll need to check on this), and then do the bending the next day/that evening. Although I've been told across several media that the glue won't dissolve, I won't believe that until I try it. I'm also anxious about the bulwark and the renin expanding and contracting when wet/drying at different rates, and whether anything will warp. Again, I've read and been told that it'll all wind up fine, but, again, I'll believe it once I have my own first-hand experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment