Monday, August 19, 2013

About that kit

For anyone curious, here's what I'm working with -- and what I still need:

One of the files, with the rest of the toolkit behind
The Albatros kit was built by Ocio Creativo (OcCre) but bought, in a package with supporting gear, from Nature Coast Hobby Shop. As I mentioned, this shop included a few essentials to assist with building the kit:
I was initially surprised by the books' age, but that reaction quickly evaporated: as Lankford points out in 1999, ship model-making hadn't changed much in fundamentals in decades, and I doubt there's been a revolutionary swell in the 14 years since. On the feedback and research fronts, that might be different: sites like modelshipbuilder.com's forums are a tremendous resource for support, and the broader internet has troves of records and whatnot to help check the accuracy of models. (As an interesting aside, Amazon.com's links to those two books list them way more expensive than the Nature Coast entries -- I wonder how well Amazon and its vendors address such niche texts.)

Anyhow: a pretty thorough kit. Now, here's what I still need to do this well and comfortably:
  • More glue: I need to research this a bit further, but the kit directions suggest using different glues for different tasks. The kit comes with EZ instant bond glue, but OcCre's directions recommend at times alternatively using white/carpenter's glue (for major wood/wood action) or cobbler's glue. I've never heard of cobbler's glue, so that's something to figure out. (Addendum: Wikipedia says "white glue" and "carpenter's glue" are different. Swell.)
  • More light: The kitchen light is overhead, and the lamp to my left has a dark shade that just isn't meant to cast a lot of bright light broadly. 
  • Better vision: I wear glasses for myopia. However, it was easier to focus on e.g. not cutting off my fingers last night when I took off the glasses. But then I had to plop them back on to peer at directions. And so on. To try to address this and the need for better light (and anticipating a need to peer closely at tiny blocks for rigging), my wife last night ordered me a magnifying desk lamp. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • A great ruler, preferably metal, with imperial and metric units. For this ship, at least, the deck planking and nails are recreated with some precise pencil drawing. And I can imagine a dozen other uses for such an instrument; I'm surprised one wasn't included in the kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment