Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mister Ed vs. Secretariat

The glue trials, EZ Instant Glue that came with the kit vs. some Model Master glue from Hobby Town, are over. I initially had a few paragraphs outlining conditions and observations, but skipping to the end: I'm going with the EZ and am keeping the other for potential future projects.

With a selection made, I sliced a strand of remin and glued the boards to the forward bulkhead below the poop deck. Just for good measure, I also secured the first couple of main deck planks. Full-length remin is not always straight, but it's also pliant enough -- and the glue quick-grabbing enough -- to overcome that.

The first deck plank is in place
I didn't get a good look at everything this morning, but my shadowed glimpse didn't reveal any shifted pieces/glue expansion or clouded-over excess. Assuming all's well, tonight I'll trim the excess remin from the poop deck bulkhead (i.e. the stuff jutting above the bulkhead and below where the planked main deck comes in). I'll also probably plank the poop deck itself.

I'm holding off, though, on completely planking the main deck. That's because the subsequent step calls for joining the main deck with the keel, and my test fits haven't been stellar. At a minimum, I need to file some of the grooves in the deck, and that needs to happen before it's planked.

No comments:

Post a Comment